IUOE Local 800 provides clear benefits for our members, including:
- Higher wages and benefits, including health insurance and a pension;
- Job security — workers cannot be fired without just cause or laid off to make room for less experienced workers;
- Representation in all job-related interests;
- A chance to engage in negotiations with the employee’s contract;
- Access to the best training available for a particular trade — often at no cost!
What many people don’t realize is that Local 800 benefits contractors as well. Hiring our union workers means:
- Clearly defined job classifications and wage rates;
- A well-trained supply of labor — no recruiting;
- Low turnover;
- High-quality work done safely, done right, and done on time;
- Apprenticeship and training programs;
- Cost-effective ways of providing health insurance and retirement benefits;
- Established, proven procedures to solve work issues clearly.
Our union helps balance the power between employers and individual employees. Without the protection of a union contract, workers are at the mercy of their employers. Workers have a right under federal law to form a union, select representatives of their choice and bargain collectively with their employer. We ensure that employers will bargain over wages, hours and working conditions so that all parties benefit mutually.